Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Yasso 800's

The marathon... that pesky crazy distance. Good ole 26.2 where all you do is train, then the day is upon you and all you have left is to trust in that training.

I do a lot of reading about running and came across a different technique that I've decided to try. There's a running guru named Bart Yasso. His idea is this: 1st you take your goal time for the marathon. (Mine is 4hrs 20min) Then you make that the time you would run an 800 in. (Mine is 4min 20sec) Hence the name Yasso 800's!

If you can run an 800 (.5 miles or 2 laps around the track) in that time, rest for 60 seconds, and do 10 sets of that, they say you're practically guaranteed to make your time.

I'll be letting you all know if that's true!!

Today I gave it a try. I had scheduled to start with 3 and increase by 2 sets per week. Well, it was only moderately hard. I warmed up half a mile, was able to do 4 sets, and then cooled down half a mile. I feel like I'd be able to do 10. I expected it to be so grueling. Now that it wasn't that bad, I'm doubting it's "guaranty" a little bit!

Anyways, I'm keeping the Yasso 800's on the schedule and will keep you updated on my progress!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an awesome workout. I might have to add that one into my workout. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete