Tuesday, October 9, 2012

3rd time's a charm!

Sunday was my 3rd running of the San Jose 1/2 marathon and I was worried sick about it.

Not only is my schedule chalk full, but my training has been solely dedicated to trails - what the heck am I gonna do in a road race?!

Plus, my best friend was running her very first half marathon and while I wanted nothing more than to be there for her, she's been running pretty strong and what if she totally dusted me and I came in like last place?!?! 

And this wasn't a training run, I can't stop, I'm not using my inhaler... I was scared!

Ha ha...






Guess what?! It all worked out great! Not only did I feel good the whole race, but just after mile 8, "I got a good feeling...!" Seriously, my song came on the iPod, my scalp starting to tingle, I found my stride, and I just did what I apparently LOVE to do... I RAN! Thank you coach and all those awful Yasso 800's for helping me negative split. I finished the last 6 miles closer to a 9:20 pace, and the last mile at an 8:30 and I... FELT... FANTASTIC!! My finishing time was 2:05.49 and I'm so stoked because I just set out to do another training run and wound up running faster than my last 5 half marathons!

As with all marathon training, the training itself is always harder than the actual day, but THAT training is also what you rely on when you're in the thick of it... you can draw from the good runs as well as the bad... and this race really helped build my confidence that I'm strong and on the right track for a successful marathon day!

In fact, it's such a weird thing, but 2 years ago I would've taken the whole week off to recoup.  This year, I did a gym workout THE NEXT DAY! and the next day a 5 mile run, and the next day 7 Yasso 800's... Talk about a confidence builder! Not only am I doing what it takes to get better, workout on tired legs, etc - but I feel PRIDE that I was able to... and even more confidence that without all those inhalers and supplements and all that other stuff I started with, I'm getting stronger! Who can say that!?!?

Next up - an 18 mile race, a nap, and then to catch a plane to Vegas for a Bachelorette party! See, I didn't lie about a busy schedule... I AM dedicated to getting my runs in, no matter what it takes!

No comments:

Post a Comment