So, on Friday the 13th I set out to make my pilgrimage to the desert!
I had everything I owned and my bestie, HarMar, by my side. It's about
an 8 hour drive, but we cruised and it was a good time!
 |
His shirt says "Cute as a Button!"
|
This may be hard to explain to people, but
I am in love with Quartzsite, Arizona. It's just fascinating that
people load up and just pull of the road and stake claim. Here's a shot
from my car window and all the RVs scattered through the land!
 |
I do love me an RV!
|
 |
It's an odd type of beauty, but the skies have never been so blue! I like it!
|
|
And then there's Phoenix, Arizona. A big beautiful artsy metropolitan city.
 |
I like all the big buildings!
|
AND NOW... for THE. MOST. AMAZING. THING! I
had friends who supported me in my training, but I made this trip here
expecting to go it alone, despite EXTREME paralyzing fear about how that
would work out. As I made my way to Phoenix and went to check out the
expo I was practically shaking. I was in no hurry and sat down at a
seminar by the local Arizona Road Runners who would be pacing the
marathon. I wanted to see what they had to say and figured I'd better
sign up with one of them so that I'd have someone to hand with for my
hours and hours of running.
Well, while I was sitting
there, I got a call and was told to drop everything and go to the hotel
lobby right away, that there was a surprise waiting for me. Okay,
seriously, who does this happen to?? I was trying to limit the time on
my feet, but I walked the block and a half back to the hotel and
OH MY GOD,
out from behind a bench in the lobby, appears my friend Irene!!! I lost
it. I mean, I cried until I had to put my stuff down and sit down to
compose myself. After running EVERY god damn step of my training with
me, it was a bit sad that she wasn't going to get to run the actual
race, and NOW HERE SHE WAS! My most amazing boyfriend had made the
arrangements (SECRETLY - THOSE TRICKSTERS!) to fly her to Phoenix. I
still get a little teary eyed just thinking about it!
We did get down to business quickly though and excitedly hurried back to the expo to pick up her race bib too! We played around at the expo, took some pics, and then went to grab a late lunch and settle in for the night before the actual race!
 |
| This photo opp was for the 1/2, but I'll play along that I can run a 2:03 full marathon! HA HA |
 |
| Heck yeah, together, we can both run an amazing race. I'm so cool, I can do it in sandals! |
No comments:
Post a Comment